Friday, March 30, 2012

Finally, another studio painting!

I've started a number of studio paintings recently and then gotten distracted and put them to one side. However, I finally finished this one today. I'm hoping to do some prints of paintings of local landmark scenes for the summer tourist market, and this will be probably be one of them. I was aiming for something other than a literal rendition of a photo, so hopefully the painting captures something of the mysterious energy of this special place.

A Golden Moment, Hook Head
(20" x 24" Oil on Canvas)



















This is a close-up of a section of the painting, to give some indication of brushwork and texture:-






 
Finally, this is my "reference photo", but I just used it to frame my thoughts on composition. The painting is primarily based on my painting instincts, rather than slavishly copying anything.



No comments: