Monday, March 26, 2012

St Mullins Paint-Out

A return visit by our plein air group to the little village of St Mullins yesterday (25/3/12), and what a day it turned out to be with temerature of aprrox 18C (64F) and clear blue skies all day. Last year we got our "summer" at the end of April, this year it has arrived a month earlier! I've painted at this place quite a bit and it was difficult to find anything I hadn't painted before, so for my first I settled for this upstream view of the river:-

Spring Morning, St Mullins
(10" x 12" Oil on Board)





Since the day was so good, I decided to push myself outside my comfort zone and try a larger format, so the next one was on a stretched canvas. This downstream view is alwas spectacular on a sunny afternoon, especially if the tide is out (the river is tidal here, even though it is about 10-15 miles inland):-

Spring Glow, St Mullins
(20" x 16" Oil on Canvas)





Since I had finished my second one by mid-afternoon, I decided to explore the upper part of the village away from the river. But, not having found anything particularly interesting to paint, I was on my way back down the steep hill, when this view stopped me in my tracks:-

Late Afternoon Light, St Mullins
(12" x 10" Oil on Board)





Here are some photos of the scenes:-














No comments: