Friday, May 6, 2011

A Week in West Kerry (Day 3)

It was sunny when I headed West at about 8-00am (I had a lie in!). I could see a lot of cloud ahead and then the weather forecaster said it would be cloudy with outbreaks of rain in the West all day. I actually considered turning around at one stage. When I got there it was indeed starting to rain fairly heavily, so I found a spot under a rockface, where I could just about paint. I saw what I thought was the last of the sunlight for the day hitting Mount Brandon in the distance, and settled on that for my first one.

Towards Mount Brandon (From Clogher Head)
(11" x 14" Oil on Board)







Just as I was finishing, it stopped raining and I could see a lot of clear weather heading my way. The weather forecast proved to be completely wrong, as it turned into a beautiful day. I decided to head back to Clogher Strand, where I had painted the previous day, but this time I went further out along the cliff - the sea had calmed down enough to make it safe to do so.

Sunny Afternoon, Near Clogher Strand
(10" x 12" Oil on Board)





I was feeling fairly tired by late afternoon, so I decided not to go too far, so just up the headland (An Drom) and liked the light looking West towards Inis Tuaisceart, the most Northerly of the Blasket Islands.

Afternoon Glow, Near Clogher Strand
(10" x 12" Oil on Board)





















Here are some photos of the scenes:-













































More to follow tomorrow.

No comments: