Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Week in West Kerry (Day 2)

It was overcast and drizzly by the time I got to West Kerry, but there was terrific action in the sea, which meant a little rain wasn't going to stop me! I drove out to Cuas an Bhodaigh for my first one - I know this area very well as it is only about a half mile from where my mother was born, and I spent a lot of my chidhood there, basically exploring all the places Mum told me not to go near!


The harbour and pier weren't particularly enticing, so I walked a few hundred yards east along Brandon Creek and found this amazing display of Atlantic power.

Rough Seas, Near Brandon Creek, West Kerry
(12" x 12" Oil on Board)






I then drove West to Clogher Strand, knowing that this can be a dramatic place when there is a good swell in the sea. It didn't dissapoint. I can still hear the loud boom when a big wave hit the large rock in the middleground, followed immediately by a cheer from the enthuiastic "audience". There's a sign warning that this beach is unsafe for swimming, as if anyone needed to be told on a day like this!  Real fun - plein air painting doesn't get much better than this! And it stopped raining too!

Stormy Day, Clogher Strand
(10" x 12" Oil on Board)




















I was under a bit of time pressure as I was meeting my brother and his wife for dinner later, so I just walked up the headland (An Drom)  for my last one of the day.

Towards Clogher Head, An Drom
(10" x 12" Oil on Board)









Here are some photos of the scenes:-
























































More to come tomorrow.

No comments: