Saturday, July 3, 2010

More Paintings from Brittany

These are some more of my paintings from my recent trip to Brittany with the Wapping Group.

This one was painted on the first morning on the beach at Dinard:-

Morning Glow, Dinard
(12" x 16" Oil on Canvas)

















The next two were done on the banks of the River Rance in Dinan on the same day. It was overcast in the morning so the red boat really helped add life to the painting. When the sun came out in the afternoon, the warm/cool contrast and the value counter-change between the dark blue hull of the boat and the sunlit water caught my eye immediately. It was very windy all day too which made for interesting water and reflections:-

Red Reflections, Dinan
(12" x 10" Oil on Canvas)



Blue Reflections, Dinan
(12" x 10" Oil on Canvas)





I did the next one on a surprisingly cold, windy and overcast day. Strangely enough I found a scene downstream which looked peculiarly Irish! My main priority was to find a spot where I had some shelter from the cold Northerly wind.

Cloudy Morning, Near Dinan
(12" x 16" Oil on Canvas)





My UK colleagues left on Thursday morning, so after saying my goodbyes, I made my way East with the intention of painting Mont St Michel. However, I quickly realised that the best views can be had looking South from the Cherbourg penninsula, so I made my way North to an almost deserted beach near the small village of St Jean-Le-Thomas and painted this view looking South. I found it rather interesting that the small island of Tombelaine about half-way across the bay lined up perfectly, so that the monastery appeared perched on it. It was a pleasantly warm morning but with a fresh sea breeze and as a result I managed to drop the painting twice while packing up! Fortunately, it landed right side up on both occasions!

South Towards Mont St Michel
(14" x 18" Oil on Canvas)





Here a few photos of the scenes. I appear to have forgotten to take one of the overcast river scene - must have been too pre-occupied trying to stay warm!






No comments: