Monday, April 11, 2011

JFK Arboretum Paint-Out

Our plein air group had a paint-out yesterday to JFK Arboretum (near the ancestral home of President John F Kennedy in South West Wexford). A beautiful place when you get a lovely sunny day like yesterday. It also has the advantage of having the more windswept and rugged Sliabh Coillte park nearby. We got a really good turn-out for mid-April and it was great to have quite a few new artists join our group.

I decided to capture some of the beautiful spring colour in the arboretum for my first.

Spring Colour, JFK Arboretum 
(14" x 11" Oil on Board)
























I went across the road to Sliabh Coillte in the afternoon, and wasted a lot of time just looking for something to paint that I hadn't done there recently. Eventually, I settled for this panoramic view looking West from the summit. I had to re-arrange the foreground somewhat more than usual, but the perfect scene can be hard to find sometimes.

Down Towards the Barrow, Sliabh Coillte
(11" x 14" Oil on Board)




















Here are some photos of both scenes:-





































2 comments:

rob ijbema said...

hey you big softy,your spring colors look amazing!!!!

Michael McGuire said...

Thanks Rob. And you're right on both counts - I'm both "big" and a "softy"!