Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Bit More Colour

I felt that I had become a little too tonal in some of my recent plein air paintings, so I deliberately pushed myself to see the colours in the close to neutral greys this morning, and then pushed those differences a little. Fairly pleased with the results.

For the first one, I just got out of my car and the light stopped me in my tracks looking up towards this local landmark. I think it was possibly a "mass rock" during the the Irish "penal laws" when Catholic services were deemed illegal. There are still occasional religious services held there - must find out more - so the title is temporary.

Mystic Morning, Forth Mountain
(10" x 12" Oil on Board)





For my second, I went further up the track and painted a rock outcrop I've done several times before, but the hazy backlight made it really striking, so I was happy to paint it yet again.

Hazy Morning, Forth Mountain
(10" x 12" Oil on Board)







These are photos of both scenes:-









2 comments:

Prerana Kulkarni said...

Both are Mystical! The colors are so soft and yet sooo attractive.

Michael McGuire said...

It really looked that way this morning, Prerana! We've been having unbelievable weather for April - more like what we used to get when we had "summers" in Ireland.