Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wexford Wildfowl Reserve

An impromptu paint-out with a few friends yesterday at the wildfowl reserve a few miles North of Wexford town. And a beautiful day it was too, with unbroken sunshine all day. The manager of the reserve was kind enough to allow us in among the natural ponds/lagoons, an area usually closed to the public. The first scene reminded me very much of my first feeble attempts at plein air painting at a workshop in California. I can remember trying to capture the brilliance of mid-day summer sunlight on similar ponds and failing dismally. I'm a little more pleased with this one.

Summer Morning, Wexford Wildfowl Reserve
(11" x 14" Oil on Board)



















For my second one, I drove about a mile up the road, where there's a sort of a beach. The sand turns into mud nearer the water, so it's not really suitable for swimming, but it does have great views back towards Wexford town.

Late Afternoon, North Slob, Wexford
(12" x 12" Oil on Board)























These are photos of both scenes, taken before I started.




No comments: