Monday, February 27, 2012

Kilmore Quay Paint-Out

We had a group paint-out at the little fishing village of Kilmore Quay yesterday (26/2/12). It can be a nightmare to paint there mid-week, because the subject matter has a tendency to leave half-way through the painting, but the boats tend to mostly stay put on Sundays. It was disappointingly cool and dull, compared to the previous day which was warm and sunny and felt almost like summer. Still, when on a paint-out, you just get on with it.

For my first one, I found myself getting interested in the negative space between these boats, with the occasional ripples adding further interest.

In-Between, Kilmore Quay
(14" x 11" Oil on Board)





For my second, I like the painting challenge of these rusty old fishing boats. Tried to "draw" accurately but not tightly.

Old-Timers, Kilmore Quay
(11" x 14" Oil on Board)




I took a couple of photos of both scenes, before I started. As often happens in poor light, the photos suggest a much brighter day than it actually was.





No comments: