Monday, May 10, 2010

St Mullins Paint-Out

We had a very enjoyable group paint-out at the beautiful village of St Mullins, Co Carlow yesterday. Lovely bright sunshine in the morning, but clouded over after lunch. We were lucky to be out of the unseasonably cold Northerly wind at our sheltered spot down by the River Barrow. With some 23 artists and as many if not more fishermen, the place had a real festival air for the day. I did this painting in the morning, one of those scenes that demanded to be painted, but I had to work fast to catch the light on the distant rapids before the tide came in (the river is tidal here and everything can change very quickly).

Morning Glow, St Mullins
(14" x 18" Oil on Canvas)



I took this photo of the scene before I started - I'm always amazed at just how little colour the camera captures:-



No comments: