Monday, February 1, 2010

A Cold Day at Johnstown Castle

Our local plein air group had its first paint out of 2010 yesterday. Despite very cold temperatures and a substantial wind chill, we had a very good turnout with ten of us making it to the ornamental gardens of nearby Johnstown Castle. I don't usually like this as a painting venue (I prefer wilder, more natural places), but I managed to find a way through to the "lower lake" which is outside the boundary of the gardens and has a more natural look to it. It was cloudy and very cold and I had to paint very quickly because I could see that the sun was going to come out in about an hour or less. In the event it took me only about 45 minutes, and just as well, because the sun came out just as I was finishing.

Winter Morning, Johnstown Castle
(14" x 11" Oil on Board)







This was my block-in after about 15 minutes painting:-



And a photo of the scene:-




















In the afternoon, I painted one of several "follies" erected around the grounds. Despite the cold, there were quite alot of Sunday strollers at this stage. I decided to suggest some of these in the painting.

January Sunshine, Johnstown Castle
(14" x 11" Oil on Board)


The painting at block-in stage:-




And a photo of the scene:-



No comments: