Thursday, September 17, 2009

Two more from Valentia

These are the other two paintings I did while on vacation in Valentia, Co Kerry. Painted on Wednesday and Thursday mornings respectively, the weather had settled to such an extent that there was absolutely no cloud other than early morning fog out at sea.

The first one is of the lighthouse on Valentia Island. I got up early to paint his one because I wanted the sun to be partly behind the lighthouse. I liked how the rockpools left by the receding tide provided a lead-in to the scene.

Valentia Lighthouse
(11" x 14" Oil on Board)



















I painted the second one the following morning just beside the road from Portmagee to Ballinaskelligs at a place known as St Finian's Bay. Funny thing was that another artist had set up about twenty yards behind me and I didn't even notice until I was finished. It transpired that we had met previously at a paint-out event in my home town.



Morning Light, St Finian's Bay, Near Ballinaskelligs



















Here are photos of the two scenes, taken before I started:-

No comments: