Monday, September 28, 2009

Dead Calm

Our local plein air group had a paint-out yesterday at Carne Harbour, in the South-East corner of Co Wexford. We've had some lovely autumnal weather here recently - its been dry, quite mild but mostly overcast. Yesterday was similar but also exceptionally calm, so we were faced with fairly dull light and a virtually glass-like sea. I took my time before deciding on what to paint, and walked South for about ten minutes before I found a scene that interested me - I had to do a little re-arranging of rocks, but not much. The sun made a couple of efforts to shine through and, when it did, gave some beautiful silver reflections on the sea. I did my best to capture that even though the effect only lasted for about five minutes.

Dead Calm, Carne, Co Wexford
(11" x 14" Oil on Board)




Here is a photo of the scene, taken before I started painting:-



No comments: