Saturday, August 22, 2009

After the Rain


We've had a lot of rain over the last couple of days, but at least it started dry and sunny this morning. It clouded over fairly quickly though, with the sun peeping through every now again, which made it difficult since I started the painting in sunlight. The rivulets of water running down the forest track just had to be painted! I became so absorbed in the painting that I forgot to take any progress photos.

Something interesting usually happens when I paint plein air. Today a young lady and her rather nervous horse came down the track behind me. There was plenty room to get by, but I sensed that the horse was a bit agitated, so I volunteered to move. No need, said my young friend, just talk to her. Which I did and it worked!

Here's a photo I took while the sun was still shining:-

6 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Saw this gorgeous painting on Wet Canvas, and had to check out your blog. This is such an incredible painting - just love it!

Candy Barr said...

Love your block-ins as well the simplicity of bold colors! Nice to see the location photos as well and hear some of the narrative that happened while you were painting!

Unknown said...

I think this is one of your best, Michael. It is so subtle and gentle perfectly capturing that 'after the rain' feeling. Beautiful.

Michael McGuire said...

Mick - Thanks so much. Glad you liked it.

Candy - My "block-in" differs from what most artists would describe as such. I try to establish the correct colour relationships between the main masses in my "block-in".

Claire - Thanks for looking here too and taking the time to comment.

rob ijbema said...

this must be my favourite of that area michael,what a gem!
the water stream,just superb

Michael McGuire said...

Thanks Rob. It has gotten even wetter since. We had a small river run through our back garden on Monday! Thankfully, only minor damage done.