Monday, December 10, 2012

Back Out There Again

After a few weeks break from plein air painting, I finally was persuaded to get back out there yesterday. I joined a few friends at historic Tintern Abbey for a very enjoyable morning. It was overcastr and cool but not really that cold (6-7C). I love winter scenes like this one, as I feel they are more representative of the Irish winter (at least of the ones we used to get) than those with the dreaded white stuff that we've been getting a little too aften lately!

I discovered also that the Irish midge is quite happy at temperatures of 6-7C. When I got home I discovered a line of bites along my forehead, and I assume also on other parts of my anatomy which are harder to see in a mirror!

Winter Morning, Tintern Abbey
(10" x 12" Oil on MDF Board)

 
 
 
This is a photo of the scene, taking before I started:-
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

René PleinAir said...

Aaah that's what it was!!!
An Irish midge, I've been wondering what made my belly itch for soo long during my attendance in Wexford!! I painted on similar place and was covered by them, tucked away in everything I'd got one maneged to sting me right through all my clothing. Pfff you tell me now that there are INFAMOUS IRISH midges, unbelievable ;-) Good for you took go out Michael, stay at it, it's well worth the effort.

Michael McGuire said...

Thanks Rene. Midges are perfectly capable of working their way in through gaps in your clothing. You may well have been bitten that first day by the river in Inistiogue. I have to say though that it's the first time that I've encountered them in December.

René PleinAir said...

Indeed it was over there!!
The funny part was, that many of them tried to bite me but couldn't reach my skin of through the fabric, so I watch them a little all packed in of course with scarf and all. But one did reach my belly it really did hurt, I'll guess it's my own fault with my thick belly ;-) It's still itches so now and then tho. December migdets, did they wear X-mass hats?!

Ron Guthrie said...

Michael this piece is great! You handle blending in the trees with that mist so well. You've warmed up the scene too. Nice! We don't have midge's in CA but we do have ticks that like to chomp away. Had a few get to out dog but so far I've managed to never get one on my....good thing too because you have to burn them off you with a smoke or hot match. Yikes!

Michael McGuire said...

Thanks Ron,

Seems like ages ago since I painted that, but it's only a few months! Oh,and I've said hello to quite a few CA bugs in my time - done a bit of hiking in the lovely National Parks South of Carmel! Can't remember which ones, but one was flat and along the coast, the other was inland and involved a lot of climbing.