Monday, July 9, 2012

Newtownbarry House Paint-Out

We had a group paint-out at beautiful Newtownbarry House, Bunclody, yesterday. After a beautiful, sunny day on Saturday, yesterday was disappointingly overcast and damp. However, the gardens at Newtownbarry House are stunning, regardless of the weather, so I made the best of the conditions and really enjoyed the day. I decided to concentrate on painting foliage with expressive brushwork.

For my first one, I was really drawn to the lovely mixture of reds and greens in the shrub on the left. I decided later to add the distant figures, both to echo these colours and give a sense of scale to the painting.

Towards the Sunken Garden, Newtownbarry House
(14" x 11" Oil on MDF Board)





For my second one, I decided to concentrate again on foliage:-

Above the Sunken Garden, Newtownbarry House
(14" x 11" Oil on MDF Board)


























Here are photos of both scenes, taken before I started:-





No comments: