Monday, September 26, 2011

A Day in Leighlinbridge

We had a group paint-out in the picturesque little village of Leighlinbridge, Co Carlow, yesterday. Unfortunately, it quickly turned into a very wet and windy morning, but a local hotel kindly let us paint under the large umbrellas in their external dining area, overlooking the river and marina. I did my first painting while it was raining and was immediately drawn to the red and yellow boat. I still had to push the colours a bit for added impact.


"Standing Out from the Crowd", Leighlinbridge
(12" x 10" Oil on Board)






The sun came out for a short while in the afternoon, but it quickly clouded over, so I had to rely a lot on memory to complete my second one.


Afternoon Reflections, Leighlinbridge
(12" x 10" Oil on Board)






These are acouple of photos of the scenes:-























3 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting to see how you have pushed the colours. Also impressed by the insertion of that red in the second one it creates real impact.

rob ijbema said...

hi michael.wow! your boat paintings are getting better all the time...love the busy com[positions in these

Michael McGuire said...

Thanks Mick and Rob. I've been pushing myself this year to tackle more complex subject matter, knowing that my drawing skills need sharpening.