Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sunlit Rocks

I went painting with a friend to a beautiful, but decidedly chilly, Hook Head yesterday. Once the cloud cleared around noon it turned into a lovely afternoon with clear blues skies and consistent light. I decided to try a larger format using a Beauport easel, so I attempted a 16" x 22" canvas. It took me about two hours on location and about another half hour in the studio this morning. My second effort was less successful, so it became a wipe-down this morning!



Here is a reference photo taken before I started:-



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've spent my usual bit of time studying what you've done in structuring your picture. This one exhibits all of those things that demonstrate your mastery. Wonderful colour and distinctive recession as well as that intense foreground chroma. The longer I've looked at this one the more I come to focus on the dark band of mid ground rock towards the left. It seems to have greater weight in the picture than the shadows amongst the foreground rocks. Maybe it's just a matter of the comparative areas of shadow in the two parts of the picture. Nevertheless, it's another great picture.

Michael McGuire said...

Thanks for commenting Mick. If you look closely you should see that the darkest patches within the foreground rock mass are in fact darker than that area, but overall the foreground mass of rocks is lighter in value because it is partly in sunlight, compared to that middleground area which is completely in shadow.